Ridiculously Easy Group Forming
perhaps most well known for opening the Pandora's box of CSS hacks. But before that I helped code and ship IE5/Mac, the first browser to meaningfully support HTML4 and CSS1.
Why does easy matter?
- Easy means more people can do it
- Easy means more coders write more tools
- Easy means more tools sooner
- Easy is more democratic
- Easy is for the rest of us
How do you do easy?
- Keep it simple
- Start ridiculously simple
- Solve one problem
"Small pieces loosely joined"
- Don't try to build it all
- Work with other easy technologies
Blogs and blogrolls forming groups already
- Blogs are fastest growing part of the web
- "Hello My URL is... " name tags
- People are already linking to each other as URLs
- Logical next step: add relationship info
Xhtml Friends Network (XFN) conceived
- December 2003, Version 1
- Work of a few folks
- Previewed by a few more
- Everything Creative Commons licensed
XFN is easy!
- Easy to type by hand
- Works with any (X)HTML
- Simple set of values
- Open source XFN Creator wizard UI
XFN: In only three months:
XFN: Next steps
- Popular requests going into XFN 1.1
- outside immediate family
- less than "acquaintance"
- connect the sites that represent you
- Join the community feedback loop
- Presentation available online: