Come discuss the alternative web protocols and standards that can enable the decentralized future we want to see.
RSVP: post an indie RSVP on your own site!
Pages and specifications in order summarized, roughly alphabetical:
- W3C Social Web Working Group home page
- Activity Streams 2.0
- Activity Vocabulary
- h-card microformat
- h-entry microformat
- h-event microformat
- h-feed microformat
- JF2 Post Serialization Format
- Linked Data Notifications
- microformats2 parsing specification
- Post Type Discovery
In addition we showed how most specifications also link to their test suite which is a god place to get started for implementing and looking up implementation reports for what others have already built.
Questions and Answers
A few of the Q&A off the top of my head.
- Q: How do build a decentralized version of Google Reader?
- A: Check out the emerging Microsub specification and implementations — several user-friendly clients and as of today there are now two working server implementations with more being built.
- Q: How does someone easily get started with these technologies, like for WordPress?
- A: For WordPress you can install IndieWeb plugins to get federation support.
- A: For folks that just want to a service that supports their personal domain, check out Micro.blog which has excellent support for posting notes, photos etc.
(If you remember any more of the Q&A, please contact me (or drop in the indieweb chat, see below) so I can add it to the above).